Follow this blog with bloglovin

Monday, 29 September 2014

Kikki K 2015 Time Planner: Live Bright ~ Review

Until very recently I owned a Kikki K A5 grey leather planner, but it wasn't 'me'. It was being used as a family planner. My family planner takes a bit of a knocking, and the Kikki K's seem particularly desirable here in the UK so I thought it belonged with someone who'd appreciate it more, and so it went to a new home.

I have always liked the Kikki K Time Planners. I have never been particularly impressed with the quality of them (I liken them to the Paperchase planners in terms of quality), but they are very visually appealing. Part of me wonders if I love the look of them so much for no reason other than that they are hard to come by in the UK, and when they are for sale they are snapped up quickly.

I am very lucky to have a distant relative who lives in Melbourne, Australia. He told me he passes the Kikki K store most days. So I asked him to pick one up for me and ship it across the pond to my home in ye ol' England. And he did. I waited by my front door every time I saw the postman walk up our garden path for a few days. After 8 days I was beginning to wonder if my parcel had been caught up with Customs.

I was out and about running errands when it arrived. I came home, fed my cranky 9 month old a bottle, went to take him upstairs, and there on the floor by my feet fell a parcel covered in Australian postal stamps. I think I nearly dropped my baby with excitement. I rushed him upstairs, put him to bed, nearly fell back down the stairs and tore open the parcel.

I was not disappointed.

Inside the parcel was a medium sized Kikki K 2015 Time Planner: Live Bright. The medium Kikki K is the same size as a Filofax Personal in terms of inserts.





The Live Bright planner is canvas. All canvas. It's uncommon ground for me; I am used to leather, or even faux leather, and the only other canvas planner I own is a Filofax Sage Swift which was a gift from my Mother, and I am too scared to use it in case I stain or damage the material. I plan on using this beauty of a planner, though. I have decided recently that there is no point in owning anything that just sits on my shelf and collects dust. I know if I spill coffee on it then I'll probably cry, but these things are replaceable, albeit at a cost.

This lilac and dusty pink are some of my favourite colours at the moment. And everything about it is lilac and dusty pink. The dividers are pink and purple and cream and gold. It is so feminine and lovely, and I could look at it all day.

Gold. Gold is so 'in' right now when it comes to planners, apparently. The ever-sought-after Kate Spades are produced with gold rings, and this Kikki K has gold rings. I don't have a ruler to hand right now, but the ring size looks the same as my Kate Spade at 30mm. Perfect! I have a tendency to over-stuff my planners and then I worry about damaging the rings. These rings are tight, too. Maybe it's because the planner is new; we'll see if they loosen over a few days. I think gold rings are part of the reason I have been swaying towards my Kate Spade and the Kikki K's right now; as old-fashioned as using a paper organizer might seem, I feel gold rings really modernize an organizer.


This Kikki K has 7 sections all separated by some beautiful dividers:
  • Monthly view
  • Weekly view
  • Addresses
  • Birthdays & Anniversaries
  • Shops & Restaurants
  • To Do
  • Expenses

For someone like me who chops and changes the contents of a planner so much, I very much doubt I'll use many of the dividers or inserts that come with the Kikki K. But for someone who just wants a standard organizer then I'd say the dividers and inserts this planner comes with are pretty much all you'd need. 








The paper weight is ok. It's not great, but it will suffice. I am actually contemplating using the 2015 inserts for a while, although I don't like how the Saturday and Sunday has a smaller writing space than the rest of the weekdays. Often, the weekend is my busiest time of the week, and I need an adequate amount of space to jot stuff down! I've never used Kikki K inserts before, so there is no harm in trying. I do prefer the look of them to the Filofax inserts, but I think I prefer Kate Spade inserts out of the three. I wish more than anything that the boxes weren't lined. I like plain paper so I can pick my own writing size and line height etc. without it looking messy and too busy as a result of lines being everywhere. I haven't had a chance to test whether my pens bleed through the paper yet, but I think the pages will be OK for any black gel pen that I use. 

The pockets on the front interior are nice; although I have to admit I would prefer standard business card sized slots. Having said that, the pockets on an organizer are never really a deal-breaker for me, as long as there is an adequate amount of them. On the rear interior there is a pocket for the notepad that comes with the planner; It's quite tight - I don't know if I'd want to stuff a scrap of paper in there for fear of losing it! 



Elasticated pen loop... check! That's one major positive to this planner in my opinion. I use a large variety of pens; I never really stick to one brand. Nothing in this world angers me more than my pen not fitting in a loop! Another pen loop would have been nice, but again, not a deal-breaker! 

I am so pleased that this planner has a popper closure. I don't know what it is about an elastic closure; I think they feel cheap? The Filofax Cover Story style is OK - there's not too much elastic, but I am not a fan of the Kikki K's that have an elastic closure than spans the whole height of the planner. The popper feels nice and tight, and it doesn't look poorly manufactured or like it might come loose at any time soon. 


It's not too bulky either. No more than my Kate Spade, at least!


So do I like it? Yeah, I love it! It's not my unicorn planner; not the one I want more than anything in the whole wide world. But it's certainly very beautiful, and I intend to put her to good use. It doesn't compare in terms of quality to a Filofax, VDS, Cross, Kate Spade, Mulberry or anything else in price bands above this planner, but I think you get a lot for your money; it's worth it's RRP. 

I'll be back in a few weeks with another verdict about how she's holding up. I might even take her to the UK Planner Addicts meet that's happening in 6 days time! 

You can buy the Kikki K 2015 Time Planner: Live Bright from here.

I think that's all you need to know...! Comment below if you have any questions and I'll get back to you!

A big thank you to my relative in Melbourne *squeals*!

Love,

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah!
    I love the kikki.K Canvas Planners as well! I found that before use, a good spray of scotch guard is a great way to protect it from the craziness of life/use.

    ReplyDelete